 |
| https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2743/4379144635_5ca490b381.jpg |
Blogging...Why do it? Isn't it an antiquated form of expression, given we now have Twitter and Instagram? One of the larger pitfalls that many seem to fall into when looking at blogging as a conceptualized form of online expression, is to fail to take into account the evolution and development that the form has developed into since its inception. Its very easy to categorize and limit blogging as this form of an online personal diary, but that fails to take into account the numerous and varied forms blogging has evolved into, and how it is utilized to share information as well as stay up-to-date on current events. Whether it's live blogging the most recent Supreme Court decision, or perusing a vegetarian recipes blog for what to make for dinner tonight, blogging as a form of expression has grown and evolved from its original use.
 |
| https://www.flickr.com/photos/notionscapital/2493066577 |
What I like about blogging is that it provides (at least for me) an avenue to utilize and develop my writing background experience, without having the pressure of deadlines and a mandate on the topic that I write about. My undergraduate degree is in Journalism and I do genuinely enjoy writing, and utilizing it as a form of self-expression. Blogging allows me to continue to write, while also (hopefully) working as a teacher in the future. Whether it being sharing professional ideas or keeping a running journal on how my new garden is shaping up in the spring, blogs, as a form of expression, blogging allows us (as writers) to put our thoughts out to an unknowing audience, which makes the act both unnerving and liberating.
That being said, in terms of its application within the classroom setting, there are several caveats as to its use for our students. We obviously want to be sensitive in allowing our students to express their opinions, thoughts and perspectives via blogging, while still recognizing that the Internet can and is a dangerous place. Thankfully, miraculous privacy settings (something which we should definitely be teaching our students about anyway!) allow us to tailor our audience to best suit the needs of the assignment, whether it be to just peers in our class, or to a larger audience abroad. We can also discuss and explore ideas such as meaningful and respectful digital citizenship, and writing for an audience. Dangers aside, blogs allow our students to be creative, find a voice and have an authentic audience in which they can share their own unique and diverse perspective on a range of topics.
The potential uses for blogging are endless, and I think utilizing blogs in the classroom is a great way to get students involved in the conversation. The problem we're faced with is making sure the students use the blog responsibly. I like the freedom of the blog as well. Because they aren't as formal as other means of communication, we are more free to be ourselves. I think our students will like it as well.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comments. As an educator of 21 years, I never used blogs because of the extra responsibility it took to manage them. I even worked in one school district that did not allow student blogs. I do believe philosophies have now shifted but it will take time to completely trust and utilize this practice. I am showing my age in saying this but when the internet was first available, school districts did not want students using it due to fear of the unknown.
ReplyDeleteTristan,
ReplyDeleteI really like your blog! I learned more about you personally and your viewpoint about blogging. First of all, your blog's visual appearance is fabulous -- it draws the reader in! And you make a valid point that blogs can be a vehicle for students to express themselves--a voice. I agree and also believe it can teach students to creatively think as well as learn respectful communication. Your future students will love your forward vision!